Locations: Missaukee County, Roscommon County
Project Status: Completed in 2013
- Create a Steering Committee to give input and guidance
- Information and Education efforts including information signage on Houghton Lake, ordinance recommendation workshops for local government officials, presentations, and articles in newsletters and newspapers
- Retention area at one Houghton Lake Road End
- An Upper Muskegon River Watershed Management Plan including portion of Missaukee and Roscommon Counties. The plan will include E.coli monitoring on Houghton Lake and a Social Profile developed through a survey.
- A project kickoff meeting was held on March 28 at the Denton Township Hall. READ STORY
- A Natural Shoreline (Shorescaping) workshop was conducted on April 21 at the Denton Township Hall. READ STORY
- A Steering Committee meeting was held on August 13 at the Roscommon Township Hall.
Environmental monitoring for E.coli in Houghton Lake began in August with another monitoring in September. READ STORY
- A social survey was completed during the months of July-September. READ STORY
- A workshop targeting local government was conducted by the Missaukee Conservation District in Falmouth on October 9.
- The Social Survey report was distributed in February.
- A Steering Committee meeting was held at Lake Township Hall on May 14.
Environmental monitoring for E.coli in Houghton Lake was conducted on May 22-23 and July 9-10.
- The Trestle Park rain garden was planted on July 19-20. Thanks to the Kirtland Garden Club and Friends of Trestle Park. A sign was installed in August. READ STORY
- The MRWA public meeting was held on August 22 with a tour of the rain garden and boat washing equipment. READ STORY
- A canine “sniffer” was used on September 19 to detect human sewage at Houghton Lake monitoring sites. READ STORY
- A Steering Committee meeting was held at Markey Township Hall on September 26.
- A workshop, targeting local government in Roscommon County, was conducted by Annis Water Resources Institute at Lyon Township Hall on November 13.